Well here we are – the second issue of the Airgun Wire. As they say in my neck of the woods,
now we’re cookin’ with gas! We couldn’t have launched at a better time because
we just got back from the land of airgun sensory overload.
What was it? Let’s try a quiz. I’ll provide some hints and you come up with the correct
answer to win the Final Jeopardy round. Don’t get too excited, the grand prize is only
- It’s as big as the New Orleans Superdome.
- To say “Hey!” to everyone there while awkwardly pretending you remember their name,
you’ll have to walk at least 12.5 miles – all indoors.
- Attendees consume enough Advil daily to fill 19.7 Olympic swimming pools. OK, maybe I estimated
that one a bit, but it’s a lot. Trust me. I’m pretty sure Pfizer has direct rail
access to this particular event.
- You share it with 70,000 of your closest friends.
- Probably as a result of the previous data point, it has a signature illness called the _____
- It’s takes up the same amount of space as the Great Pyramid of Giza. Who knew that the
Superdome and that gauze guy’s tomb were the same size? I wonder if he played football
- Friendly people who wanted to sell stuff brought seven million pounds of gear with them in 550
trucks. That’s eight hundred thousand pounds heavier than the Saturn V rocket that lobbed
a car and two drivers to the moon.
Know what it is? If not, this annual boondoggle is called the
Shooting, Hunting, and Outdoors Trade (SHOT) Show. Sponsored by the National Shooting Sports
Foundation, it’s where the entire industry goes to do business. It’s not open to
the public, just retailers, wholesalers, law enforcement agencies, and military teams from around
the world. It’s also open to media members (like us) who are supposed to report on all
the industry happenings while ogling the wares.
There was no shortage of exciting new products in the airgun world and we’ll be covering
many of them in depth in future issues. For now, here are just a couple of highlights from the
2018 SHOT Show